Monday, June 16, 2008

Berry Nice


Freshpicked Boysenberries

When I wasn't paying attention, my boysenberries started to ripen. This year's crop is small not only in the number but also the size of the berries. Probably in part due the fact that I haven't been watering them enough. (I told you I wasn't paying attention.)

There are only about 1/2 pint of berries sitting in the beautiful berry bowl (small collander) that was my Mom's. I gave her that berry bowl as a Christmas present, the last Christmas she was still here. I miss my Mom every day, and I cherish having her beloved berry bowl. I still remember how she squealed with delight as she unwrapped that gift that last Christmas. She had seen it while shopping with me at a craft faire here in the mountain area and fell in love with it. She didn't know that I had Jack distract her while I bought it for her to save for Christmas. That was over 11 years ago. I really miss her laughter and giggles. She had such joy & spirit inside of her.

Well Ma, I am putting your sweet berry bowl to good use by filling it with my home grown berries, and I think of you each time I use it.

More boysenberries are on the vine, with the blackberries to follow in a week or two. I did remember to water them tonight.


© Copyright 2008 Mountain Harvest Basket

4 comments:

Hardware Bob said...

Good memories, and a very fine berry bowl. The berries look yummy, but I don't like the seeds much.

Farmer Jen said...

Hi Bob,
Yes, I like to remember my Mom being happy. Boysenberries don't have the big seeds like blackberries do. And cultivated berries don't have as many as wild ones.

Danni said...

Nice memory, Jen. You made your momma very happy.
I can see from the picture that the sun is *still* shining at your house. Send some my way, would you? Please?
We're no where near close to berry time here.

Farmer Jen said...

Hi Danni,
Thanks for the warm words about my Mom. I hope you are right.

I have been noticing that your weather pixie has been showing much cooler temperatures for you than we are having here. I will do my best to send some sunshine your way. After all, you bring me a little sunshine with your nice comments and your fun donkey and chicken videos.