Sunday, December 28, 2008

Christmas Week 2008



It's been a really busy, fulfilling, happy and sometimes stressful Christmas week around here. So busy and rushed that I have fallen behind in my blog writing. I still don't have a lot of words to post right now, so I will share some of our Christmas experiences through the following photos. These only show a small portion of our Christmas holidays, but it does give you the highlights.

I also plan to share our Winter Solstice celebration with you too, but I will write about that some other time. First my Christmas week 2008, which was enjoyed in my favorite way, right here in my warm home in our beautiful and peaceful mountains, with my closest family and friends and my beloved pets all around me.


Cards from friends and family


Our Stockings hung with care ~ on the stereo cabinet, I have no mantle


Kitties and Chickens Stockings too...


Pinecone Decorations inspected & approved by Jessie


Cranberry Bread baked for gift baskets and snacking


Packages wrapped beautifully ~ Jack does great ribbon work. Bob does great bows.




And placed beneath the Christmas tree...


And quality inspected by Jessie


Christmas Morning ~ my Jessie is my Baby, and sooo cute...


Christmas Goodies ~ all homemade & delicious!


Dinner Table Setting ~ nothing very fancy, just colorful


Christmas Dinner ~ Beef Tri-Tip Roast, Green Salad, Roasted Potatoes, Fresh Cranberry Sauce


And homemade Cherry Pie with ice cream for dessert


Boys play with their trains

All is calm and all is bright...

We did have a White Christmas after all. Snow fell late on Christmas Eve and during Christmas Day to leave us with just a couple of inches on the ground and on our cars. Most of it melted away the next day, but it was beautiful to watch the fluffy flakes fall on Christmas. So peaceful. I love watching Mother Nature's artistry. Today was sunny, crisp and cold. We gathered together again last night to feast on leftovers, eat cookies and fudge, drink hot toddies and play with our new toys. We have all had colds these past few days (The hot toddies were medicinal) and have been doing our best to keep our energy up and remain in good spirits for each other. It's been a little stressful at times, but we are a close family and work everything out eventually.

This was another good Christmas around here, and it's really not over yet. Later today, Jack's son arrives to visit & celebrate with us for a few days, and we will be visiting Bob's daughter and son-in-law tonight too. All in all, a busy and full week for us here at Mountain Harvest Basket.



© Copyright 2008 Mountain Harvest Basket

8 comments:

Hardware Bob said...

I look forward to enjoying the Christmas Holidays every year with Jen & Jack more than anything.

From making bows and gift wrapping, excitedly playing with our Christmas train, decorating gingerbread cookies in the warmth of the kitchen, and that uncomfortable stuffed feeling after a fabulous Christmas dinner, every experience is so precious.

This Christmas was especially perfect and fun with Natures' gift of plenty of snow.

Christmas is that time of the year when the child inside us wants to come out to play.

I hope your child got to play this year. Happy Holidays everyone.

Laughing Orca Ranch said...

I'm glad you all had such a special and beautiful time together to enjoy the holidays. Yes, my inner child got to play this year, and although it was lots of fun and just beautiful in the beginning....the ending wasn't as much fun, unfortunately.

Now, I'm not able to walk without crutches, have to spend most of my time in bed, and am heartbroken that I can't even feed o care for my family or any of my animals.

Maybe play is over-rated?

I'm just feeling in a funk right now, so please forgive me. I know that with time things will improve and I still have so much to be grateful for. I just don't make a very good patient and have a hard time staying still for long.

By the way, all your stockings made me smile, especially the critter stockings. So cute. So what did they all find in their stockings?
And why do you have a snowman on your's Jen?

I'm dreaming of your delicious looking cranberry bread right now. It looks delish!
And what fun to have the boys playing with their trains, too. Choo Choo!

~Lisa
New Mexico

Danni said...

Your pictures made me smile, Jen - it looks like you all had a marvelous time and I love your statement about how, despite some stress and conflict, everything always works out. This is an important sentiment to remind ourselves of occasionally, I think.
Anyway, thanks for giving us a glimpse into your happy holiday.
My warmest holiday wishes to Bob and Jack too. :-)

frugalmom said...

Happy holidays, Jen. It looks like you all had a great time despite maybe feeling a little under the weather...

It was fun to get a little tour of your festivities.....

CaliforniaGrammy said...

Your Christmas looks like it was full of love, warmth, and coziness. . . and the platter full of Christmas goodies looks scrumptious, especially that beautiful cranberry bread . . . yummo! And that precious Jessie, what a buddy she seems to be! You are fortunate to have your "closets family" to celebrate the holidays, and bring in the new year! Great post, Jen.

Farmer Jen said...

Hi Bob,
Yes, I look forward to spending Christmas at home with you two every year too. I am glad you find it as special as I do. That means a lot to me.

My child got to play a little bit this year, but not nearly enough. We have been very busy, sick and stressed, so not much time for my child to slow down and truly play yet.

The snow on Christmas was wonderful and beautiful.

Hi Lisa,
I am glad your child got some play time before your injury happened. You will play again.

Our people stockings were filled to the brim with food treats and useful little items. The cat stockings had cat toys, and the chicken stocking didn't really have anything placed into it, but the hens got special food treats last week to celebrate with us. My little snowman is my stocking mascot. I received him several years ago, I think attached to a gift package. I liked him so much that I keep him with my stocking now.

Yes, it gives me a warm feeling of family to have my guys around me occupied with their train set while I am in the nearby kitchen. Always has.

Hi Danni,
I am glad you enjoyed my pictures. I only captured a few moments of our holidays in photos. We have been very busy going here and there all week. Yes, it is important to remember that even close families can get into conflicts, especially during stressful holiday times. And equally important to remember that we can and must work it out even if it takes time and effort.

Thank you for your warm wishes. I hope your holiday was a good one. I know it will be one you will remember.

Hi Marcee,
We did have fun even if our colds were bothersome. Seems like we have had some festivity scheduled every day since Christmas Eve. I am a bit tired right now, but the week's not over yet.

Hi CA Grammy,
Yes, my Christmas was full of love and warmth. My kitty Jessie is my best friend. She is always there for me. I am fortunate for the love in my life. Thanks for the praise on my post.

Anonymous said...

I wish you all the best for the new year 2009, with many lovely celebrations!
Hugs and kisses,from Greece
Roula

Farmer Jen said...

Hi Roula,
Happy New Year 2009 to you!