Sunday, March 14, 2010

Late Winter Greens


Kale & China Choy ~ cold weather greens

We've had sooooo much rain, cold weather and mud around here this winter that I haven't had a chance yet to get out to my main veggie garden to weed and till the soil in preparation for Spring planting. The chore still needs to be done, but will be done later this year than usual.

I did, however, have the pleasure of harvesting some very late winter greenery from that same garden bed last week. Seen in the photo above are some crunchy kale (I forget the exact variety that I planted) and some juicy China Choy cabbage which is similar to bok choy, but not quite as sturdy. When fully mature like these are, both greens are great used in stir fries, soups, stews or simply steamed. When younger and more tender, they are very nice in fresh green salads.

I used some of the kale as an addition to a stir fry dinner a few days ago. Very tasty and also nutritious. I believe that kale in particular contains high amounts of lutein, which is supposed to be very good for eye and heart health.

I will plant more of each of these greens, among others, this Spring after I get a chance to work the soil and prepare the seed beds. Still way too muddy and wet out there today. Maybe next week...




© Copyright 2010 Mountain Harvest Basket

4 comments:

Hardware Bob said...

Your leafy veggies look very green.

Green compliments a big thick juicy steak, baked potato with sour cream, and ice cream very nicely. I should eat more green.

Farmer Jen said...

Hi Bob,
You are very funny with your red meat and fat laden menu. I know you are just trying to rile me up.

Eat your greens! Yogurt and olive oil on that baked potato! Red meat and ice cream only occasionally! I want you to live a long healthy life. Do what I tell you!!

There, was that riled up enough for you?

Laughing Orca Ranch said...

Wow. Beautiful greens. A fresh salad sounds so appealing to me right now. Especially considering that we just had over 9" of fresh snow dumped on us yesterday!

No gardening plans for us yet.

~Lisa

Danni said...

Do what she tells you, Hardware Bob!! Jen knows best, trust me. :)
Your greens look beautiful, Jen. Hey, do you read 7MSN's blog? Her post today was for crispy Kale chips!
http://www.the7msnranch.com/2010/03/almost-zero-calorie-delicious.html