Sunday, November 1, 2009

Halloween Jack-o-Lanterns


Scary Toothy Grin in the dark



Not So Scary in the Light


This is just a quick post to show off our pumpkin carving talents to make this year's Jack-o-Lanterns for Halloween.

First off, we went out and bought field pumpkins because we only grew sweet pie pumpkins this year in our gardens, which are way better for making pies than for carving into jack-o-lanterns. Since Bob really wanted to grow his own pumpkin and make it grow really, really big, I have saved some seeds from these field pumpkins and we will plant them next spring to see if Bob can nurture "the Great Pumpkin" in his garden for his 2010 Halloween jack-o-lantern.

So on to the pumpkin carving. We gathered in my kitchen the night before Halloween, carved designs into our pumpkins, drank hot spiced apple cider and ate Halloween candy. (we don't get many trick-or-treaters around here, so we didn't need to leave much candy for them!)

First up is Bob's fancy design showing off his knife skills (a very sharp knife!) especially around the eyes & eyebrow areas:



Next is Jack's toothless design that seems to have some anxiety and stress going on. Great expression on that one! Kind of disturbing too. Bob mentioned that this face reminded him of someone he knows.



Then there is mine. Sort of cat-like, but with more teeth than one would expect for a cat. The guys said mine was the scariest face. (my pumpkin, not my own face...at least I think that's what they meant!)



Here's the full family trio of scary jack-o-lanterns, lit up and slightly out of focus.



Great fun and great family time. I love pumpkins.

I hope everyone had a wonderful Halloween and got only treats and no tricks this year.


© Copyright 2009 Mountain Harvest Basket

4 comments:

Jen's Farmily said...

Those are some nice-looking pumpkins!

I waited until 2 days before Halloween and planned to buy our pumpkins... but there were none anywhere close. So next year will have to be my great carving! ;)

CaliforniaGrammy said...

Great carving, and what a fun evening you must have had. Hot cider is the perfect beverage for this time of year.

Hardware Bob said...

A fun family night, and event I look forward to every year.

And, hopefully the Great Pumpkin will indeed visit my tiny garden next year.

The candy bars and cider were very yummy.

Jen's pumpkin was very scary, Jack's not so much.

Danni said...

Awww, I think Jack's pumpkin was my favorite just because it looked so...FRIENDLY! :-)
Sounds like a fun night. I'm definitely going to try to grow a few carving pumpkins next year. I'm loving driving past all the fields filled with intense orange pumpkins right now.